JOIN IN ACTION
Civil society comprises NGOs, and INGOs, UN agencies, and donors leading development and relief initiatives aimed at contributing towards socio-economic as well as environmental betterment of the region. They have an active role to play in advocacy for improved institutional and policy frameworks and lead innovative initiatives to address impending issues. The SDGs Support Unit Sindh has actively engaged civil society organizations in the following platforms.
Core Group oversees formulation of SDGS framework with review of final list of indicators, baseline target and priorities. The Core Group was notified on 12 April 2017 and 1st meeting was held on 6 July 2017. 2nd meeting was held on 15th March 2018. It comprises representatives from the Government of Sindh, from key departments, alongside representatives from civil society, private sector, and academia. Specifically, it is performing the following functions:
1. Guide overall process for development Agenda 2030/SDG framework for Sindh. This will include review of final list of indicators, baselines, targets, and priorities for Sindh province
2. Ensure inter-connectedness of SDGs and targets between clusters being considered by work of cluster groups
3. Ensure that Agenda 2030/SDG framework guides key government strategies, budget allocations, alignment of sectoral strategies and policies
4. Oversee coherence with roll-out of SDG localization initiative to the district level
5. Ensure that progress is being monitored and that results feed back into planning and budgeting processes
6. Ensure engagement of other stakeholders (think-tanks, experts, academia, civil society groups, private sector, relevant UN agencies and other development partners
06 thematic sub-committees have been developed based on inputs and endorsement from Core Group, P&D and line departments (Health, Education, Agriculture, Local Government, Environment, and Energy). The committees are performing the following key activities:
6. Setting of target-wise milestones against prioritized SDGs and recommendations to Core Group
7. Review of data availability and sources of indicators for SDGs
8. Review of available baselines for each indicator and suggest standardization
9. Review of current government strategies (budgetary framework, growth strategy, key sectoral strategy key sectoral strategies, development plans) and support alignment with 2030 Agenda
10. Ensure engagement of all stakeholders (sectoral experts, academia, civil society groups, private sector and relevant UN agencies, and other development partners)
The concept of the forum stems from the need to bring together civil society organizations and strengthen their link with the government to be more actively involved in the advocacy for policies addressing key issues being faced by people of Sindh. The forum is being formed. Consultations have been initiated.